Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old July 1st, 2004, 12:07 PM
Forum Leader

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the Psychology of Cyberspace forum, which is devoted to discussions about how people and groups behave online. Feel free to ask questions and describe your experiences in cyberspace. For an overview of some of the issues related to this topic, here's a link to the table of contents for my online book:

http://www.rider.edu/~suler/psycyber/psycyber.html
Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Welcome!

I am a student right now and am taking my courses online through a University in Arizona. I have had many interactions with individuals and groups online. I think the internet can be used as a security blanket for a large majority of people. By this I mean that they can let a little portion of their true personality show, but also they can build themselves up to be something they aspire to be without the fear of meeting most of the people they talk to face to face. In regards to the First to Post reply I don't think that online therapy is a good mode of therapy at all. The relationship between therapist and patient wont have the personal level that comes from meeting face to face. There is that part of a relationship that comes from meeting face to face that brings accountability to the relationship, whether it be professional or personal. In my opinion that accountability can not be established over the internet and so therapy would not be as effective as face to face.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:14 AM
Forum Leader

You might want to check out the literature about online therapy that is growing. There is considerable evidence that it can be quite helpful for some people. Here's a start:

http://www.rider.edu/~suler/psycyber/therintro.html
Old August 27th, 2004, 07:59 PM

We created a website for our city's crime stoppers entity with secure online tip submission. I would like to hear your opinion whether people will be more willing to submit a tip online than over the phone. Both are guaranteed 100% anonymous.
I appreciate your response.
Old September 1st, 2004, 10:54 AM
Forum Leader

If the "online disinhibition effect" plays a role in this, then you might expect people to feel more anonymous online, and therefore report tips there more frequently. On the other hand, that effect could result in more prank calls too.
Old June 26th, 2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
If the "online disinhibition effect" plays a role in this, then you might expect people to feel more anonymous online, and therefore report tips there more frequently. On the other hand, that effect could result in more prank calls too.
I think John Suler has a point. Since this is an online activity then, more people would be likely to post a hoax posts but not all. Hence, you will have to filter extremely all the submitted posts for the best deliberation of your site's main point. But I'd like your idea about creating a website for your city's crime stoppers entity for it perceives every citizens emotion towards your city.