Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old April 10th, 2005, 10:38 AM

Default PTSD and Control Mastery

Please forgive my ignorance but I am wondering if Control Mastery would be effective for combat related PTSD diagnosis. I am a student and need to design a research project. I would like to present this proposal to my colleagues but do not want to be on the wrong track.

CBT has been proven effective for those suffering from PTSD but of course, it is vital to continue to investigate additional theories and methods. One of the determinants of PTSD is past trauma, which can affect the person's ability to cope with later trauma. For this reason, my thought is that CM would be effective for those in the category who suffered earlier, and combat traumas, but may not be appropriate for those with only the one-time experience. The other thought is that it may be effective for those with chronic PTSD who have suffered several years vs. those who have recently experienced the trauma.

Becuase Control Mastery is a very good theory for a new practitioner, my hope is that the research would show that it is effective for veterans suffering from combat-related PTSD but I would really appreciate input.

Again, please forgive my ignorance.

Thank you,
LP
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:17 PM

Default PTSD and Control Mastery

y-splitters have been working fine for me but i do have preamps after the splitters for the TC vinyl.
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:02 AM

Default Re: PTSD and Control Mastery

Control Mastery theory, based on Freud's later writings, emphasizes a child's urgent need to adapt to reality. His best strategy for doing this is to get along with his parents. Therefore he is motivated to maintain ties to his parents. He needs his parents for survival, safety, love, and security. In order to maintain these ties a child works to learn as much as possible about his parents. He infers the moral and ethical principles which govern his parents' lives, which they practice in relation to him, and which they expect him to practice in relation to them. A child must know his parents' whims, needs, and desires. He examines his parents closely in order to sort out what they want, expect, and will allow.