Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Cultural Differences: A DNA Link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret McGhee
Objectivity vs. subjectivity. We are capable of both. Your questions are part of the latter.
I had hoped that my question would be answered with objectivity, I know there is plenty of subjectivity out there. But I'm not complaining.

I know you understand that the brain makes its most aggregious distortions of reality the more that emotion is involved. I don't think you can muster much objectivity here and hope you can keep that in mind.
Quote:
One of those is to be more concerned with our own happiness than we are with others'.
I contend that our social instincts make this statement wrong. The proof in that is that we've not all killed each other yet, since we certainly could. Our offensive weopons have long surpassed our defensive ones. If our net predilection was for our own success regardless of others then I don't think we'd have lasted this long; we must have compassion and altruism, at least in small groups. Once the groups get involved, the mutually assured destruction doctrine might kick in and our own success relies on conciliation with others.

Regardless, we don't have "a terrible world where the strong had complete power over the weak" despite not having modern societies in the past. There's something in us as a result of being social animals.
Quote:
Bullies are people who extend their cooperation only as far as it benefits themselves personally.
I don't know whether that is true. Some may just see others getting away with it and their fairness gene kicks in. Success has to be such a strong force. I wonder if you'd have the same attitude if you were one of the strong. I, of course, don't think so. Besides, power corrupts; and you seem a bit corrupted already, if you don't mind me saying.
Quote:
like solitary confinement in prison for example
I'd prefer isolating them on an island where they can be as productive as possible. I agree that society needs tougher consequences if you want to deter bad behavior in starving people and CEOs. I'd just prefer that we focus on giving everyone something to lose and stricter enforcement to help people choose as we'd hope; I really believe that ethics are conditional (which is where religion is actually helpful). And pre-school is not too soon.

I was trying to help you deal with your anger. But, if anger is what you need to get about what you want to do then maybe that's a good thing. I think you're headed in the right direction.

Great stuff!
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJrzk
Besides, power corrupts; and you seem a bit corrupted already, if you don't mind me saying.
I thought this needed a bit of explanation. I think one of the effects of the corruption of 'good' people is not so much that they get 'mean' but that they stop bothering themselves with details. To maintain that free will is an illusion logically, but then to feel that you can ignore that when you want to express something emotionally (subjectively, in your terms) is a bit corrupt to me.
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:28 PM

Tom, My first inclination is to not reply at all to posts that don't make sense to me. The same for posts that are patronizing and/or insulting - although those are more easily ignored. But I gave this one several hours to see if it made more sense and I guess I'm still bewildered. I'm not asking for a clarification. I think it's beyond that. But since we were sort of having a convesation I thought it would polite on my part to let you know that I'll lurking for a while and hoping for something more interesting to come around. Todd, where are you?

Margaret
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Agreed.