Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old March 25th, 2005, 09:43 AM

Cool Buddhist Psychology and Cognitive Behavior Therapy: Strange Bed Fellows?

The practice of heartfelt-mindfulness (sati) is meant to awaken the 6th sense, the Buddha's discovery under the Bo-tree. The 'mind's eye' is a metaphor that refers to the brain as an organ capable to introspect and integrate impinging stimuli entering through the sense doors. It 'sees' the behaviours-of-the-mind-and-the-body: impermanent phenomena also known as 'dhammas' flowing in the stream of consciousness. While cognitive therapy is eager to change the content of mind, sati only observes the mind that is experienced as a flux. The focus is on prereflective 'pure' perceiving before any subject-object dualism takes hold. This might accrue a daily functioning of 'going with the flow while nothing remains undone'. Outcome studies suggest the efficacy of nondual experience by awareness or mindfulness not as a treatment of choice for clinical pathology, but as a useful adjunct or component in a treatment package, (relapse) prevention and pre-therapy. Strong(er) evidence-based results are highly probable in non-clinical samples in areas of high performance like managerial functioning or sports' achievement. The question: are mindfulness-based interventions the latest fad and a passing fancy?
(To address this and other themes of mutual interest, a historical meeting of minds between the founder of Cognitive therapy Prof A.T. Beck and Dr. Tenzin Gyatso [14th Dalai Lama] will be held in Sweden next June. A full program is available at www.congrex.se/ICCP2005 [program at a glance]).
Old April 2nd, 2005, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Buddhist Psychology and Cognitive Behavior Therapy: Strange Bed Fellows?

Let me see if I understand what you are saying, and rephrase it. After years of reading things written about meditation, and having my own experience with meditation evolve, it's been my experience that people write about the same experience, the words used in Buddhism are more or less standardized, but those not experiencing the experience don't understand the feeling very well from the description. At least I didn't, until I studied a lot and grew in my meditation.

First you write about a 6th sense. From my experience, there's a range. In part it is deepening intuition, a better connection with one's one feeling, a connection with your inner guru. One knows what feels right, and can act accordingly rather than acting from a false self. Behavior becomes comfortable, natural, and easily. Anxiety, fear, emotional pain of all kinds fall away.

There's another part of this you seem to describe. This is "the knowing without words" experience. Or, knowing without analysis. Knowing comes first, then words are attached to the feelings and experience which come next. It's akin to putting your hand on a hot stove. First you move your hand, then feel the pain, and then say ouch. This I write about in another post. I knew my fear of elevators, but I could step into the elevator fearlessly in a meditative state, although fear could exist, it was just fear. This is when it becomes hard for people to understand who have not experienced the sensation. It's even harder to understand when it's explained in the same way almost every time I have read about it. This I think is what is considered detachment. I could be wrong.

It's out of knowing without words & analysis, from my experience, that one naturally developes dettachment and acceptance. The things that people try to force to happen in their non-meditative mind. It does not come from this mind. But for me, it has developed out of the grace of the meditative experience.

Finally, there's also a 6th sense quality that can be considered psychic that meditators also write about. I don't know if you adhere to this belief or experience.

Also, I also I think that heartfelt-Buddhism is different from Tibetan Buddhism, you will have to enlighten me about that. Love plays a large role in the practice, and meditation focus? This is a very pleasant form of meditation.

And finally, you are saying that you believe that the ultimate question is whether combining Buddhism with CT is a passing fad. At this point it is used with therapy, and not as part of it.