Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old May 4th, 2005, 09:08 PM

Default CBT and Family Therapy

I am looking for information on CBT in the family systems context. What I am looking for specifically, is a "guide" for beginning Marital and Family Therapists. I have seen a number of books by Frank Dattilio, among others, but am not clear as to which book(s) would benefit me more.

Can anyone recommend any books or websites that I might find useful?

Thank you!
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Forum Leader

Default Good books and articles on CBT and Family Therapy

Cognitive Therapy and other CBT approaches can work well with families but, thus far, much more has been written about CBT with couples than CBT with families. The best resource in CBT family therapy that I am aware of is: Epstein, N., Schlesinger, S.E. & Dryden, W. (1988). Cognitive-behavioral therapy with families. New York: Brunner/Mazel.

A number of good books about CBT with couples have been published. They include:

Beck, A. T. (1988). Love Is Never Enough.

Spring, J. A. With Spring, M. (1996). After the Affair . New York: Harper Collins.

Dattilio, & Padesky, C.A. (1990). Cognitive Therapy with Couples. Sarasota, FL: Professional Resource Exchange.

The past decade has seen interesting new developments in behavioral and cognitive-behavioral approaches to couple therapy. Alexander Chapman and Crystal Dehle have written an excellent article that compares Behavioral Martial Therapy with Integrative Behavioral Couple Therapy and Cognitive Behavioral Couple Therapy. I recommend taking a look at it: Chapman, A. L. & Dehle, C. (2002). Bridging Theory and Practice: A Comparative Analysis of Integrative Behavioral Couple Therapy and Cognitive Behavioral Couple Therapy. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 9, 150-163.

Norm Epstein and Don Baucom have made a major advance with their new book on Enhanced CBT for Couples. In addition to the elements that have traditionally been addressed in CBT with couples, they also discuss personality styles, individual psychopathology, unresolved issues from previous relationships, and methods for promoting couple's strengths and resilience.

The book is solidly based on empirical research and provides a comprehensive overview of the available research but it is written by clinicians for clinicians. In addition to discussing the research it has good case examples, spells out a wide range of intervention techniques, and deals with the practical issues encountered in real-world clinical practice. I recommend it highly to anyone who works with couples: Epstein, N. B. & Baucom, D. H. (2002). Enhanced cognitive-behavioral therapy for couples: A contextual approach. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.