Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old July 29th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Associate Moderator

Talking Joining is easy

Well this all looks intimidating but it is not an intelligence test. REGISTER and enjoy the exchanges. No we did not need registration like this before but you will not be spammed and you will be confidential.
HERE IS WHAT TO DO:
1) Click on "Register" in the upper left side of the first screen under the box that says "Classical Adlerian Psychology"
2) Put a check mark on the left lower side to say you have read the rules and will abide by them. (If you don't like reading rules ... lie and say you did!)
3)Then go down the screen and click on the "register" button. Once will do. Don't mangle the poor little button.
4)Next screen enter your first then your last name. Don't be afraid. "They" will not come and get you!
5) Enter a password and then confirm it in the next box. If the two boxes don't agree you will have to do it twice. Do it right the first time and be lazy like me
6) Write the darn password down in some convenient place where you can actually find it. It is really annoying to have to register 25 times and try to remember the most recent password unless you like using the symptoms of so called "OCD"
7) Fill in a valid email address so if you really annoy Henry he can send you a friendly note. Try annoying him. I have never seen him do that. It could be fun!
8) Oh yes, the fiddly thing wants to know your profession and gets ugly if you don't say something. I put down "medical psychotherapist" because I don't really know what that is, but it sounds impressive.
9) If you enter a time zone like Eastern Standard it will give you the time in Bogata Columbia. Hey, that's information one could kill for.
10) Click on "receive email" if you wish. They won't harrass you too much I think maybe I hope sort of.
11) Join us and let's get some friendship and idea exchanges going on.

Last edited by George Neeson; July 31st, 2004 at 04:14 PM..
Old July 31st, 2004, 12:58 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Joining is easy

How could anyone resist George's encouraging and tempting invitation. Why not ask him some tough questions to keep him alert during these warm, summer days of relaxing in the sun or shade.
Old March 28th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Associate Moderator

Exclamation Re: Joining is easy

The number of "guests" as opposed to members, remains very high. Folks a forum is for discourse and to achieve that we need to be interactive. Do eneter your name and set a password. The psychology of Adler is too rich and deep to allow a cursory evaluation to leave you other than confused! To post questions and comments you need a user name (preferably your own unless you are on the lamb from the IRS . Why not do it now while this thread is on the front page?
Old March 30th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Forum Leader

I would like to understand why we have so many "guest viewers" vs. only a modest number of "member postings," and would appreciate any frank responses, either on this thread, or via email to <htstein@att.net>. Is the forum software interface non-intuitive? Are the topics either too simple or too esoteric? Does participation imply a level of prior study that is beyond the general level of interest? Do Adler's ideas seem dated and primarily of historical interest, rather than an approach that is deeply relevant today?

When I first started studying Individual Psychology many years ago with my mentor, Sophia de Vries, I bombarded her with questions in our weekly meetings. Reading Adler's writings were a "warm-up" to bringing the ideas to life in a dialog, one infused with deep thinking and feeling. At first, the questions were attempts to accurately embrace the full meanings of the basic constructs. After a while, the questions started exploring the nuances, case illustrations, and feelings behind these constructs. Eventually, the questions compared Adler's ideas to almost all of the other psychological theories. Rather than lecture, Sophia loved to be presented with questions. She claimed that Adler too preferred the dynamic dialogue to lecturing or writing.

A number of very knowledgable Adlerians, from different countries, have contributed generously to this forum, providing an informal "technical support" group. There are threads for varying levels of interest and experience. This forum provides an opportunity to be part of an international Adlerian community. Let us know who you are and what aspect of Adlerian Psychology you are interested in.
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:52 PM

As you see, there is a great gap between these dates also.
Had some thoughts about participation on this forum.
For me, finding it in the first plaace was a lucky chance and I am thrilled to know that discussion on such matters are 'out there' and happening. I find the set up fabulous and it is more that inviting - that's wy so many people few it. But with me, after viewing all the recent posts (late at night) and contemplating them, it's usually time to swich the computer off. Putting words down 'on paper' as it were, gets a bit more difficult at times, as much as I would want to, although questions would be abundant!
So please, all you beautiful contributors, don't give up, we treasure all you give us and benefit greatly.
What concerns Adler's ideas -I think - there are more than still 'relevant today'. For certain avenues of thought they still would be visionary because of their integrated and holistic view. I think it to be so tender - yet full of strength - when you say, that indivudual psychology is an art. It takes all the creative skills and inclinations to take each person as an individual and deal with his own story on his own terms. A 'therapist' -lay or professional- is a true scientist. What an incredible magnificient universe we live in, where mind can discerne the intricacies of choice and individual growth.

Thanks you Henry and all
Rita