Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old October 22nd, 2004, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Comments on Adlerian teleology

Following this thread with interest.

Just like to help you out with 'the darn Umlaut' for Gemeinschaftsgefühl and other German or other spellings!!
You Press Alt and 129...for ü
(Alt and 132 for ä /Alt and 148 for ö)

keep spinning that yarn..........
Rita
Old October 22nd, 2004, 07:49 AM
Associate Moderator

Well thank you for the information. Unfortunatly Windows 200 Pro does not recognize that key sequence. Maybe I need to look at my keyboard settings which are for "International English, Canadian". Thanks anyway.
George
Old October 22nd, 2004, 09:40 AM
Forum Leader

The umlat strategy also does not work on Word 2000 with an English (United States) keyboard setting. However, using the "Insert|Symbol" menu on Word will yield ü, which can be copied and pasted here.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 03:41 PM

Robert Nozick, who wrote Anarchy, State and Utopia, one of the most important works of the 20.th century in political and moral philosophy, started his career as a traditional philosopher. He planned to write a treatise on determinism and free will. However, he turned to moral philosophy. He argues for a liberalistic theory of society. My personal sympathies are on the side of John Rawls who in his book "A Theory of Justice" argues that justice and fairness still have their say in moral philosophy. In the case of Nozic, it is interesting to note that he started to study free will, and ended as a moral philosopher. John Rawls is, I believe, very interesting from an Adlerian point of view. - Discussing such questions as teleology and morality, we have to pass along a narrow rigde between flamboyant "anything goes"-attitude and a pharisean strict moralism. I think that as educators and psychologists it is our duty to believe in the possibility of choice. We can only lead our fellow-citizens "beside still waters ... in right paths" (Psalm 23). It remains to them to enjoy the still waters. As human beings, we cannot moralize, we cannot compel anyone to do the right thing, we cannot force anyone. Our strongest weapon is the quiet voice. We "point the way" as Buber said. I am myself not a psychotherapist, but I believe that this is what they can do.