Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old February 4th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Forum Leader

Default AABT becomes ABCT

In a special election, the members of the Association for Advancement of Behavior Therapy have voted 4 to 1 to change the organization's name to "Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies." (Four people noted on their ballots that they would resign if the name change were to occur.) This change reflects the fact that AABT has included a large cognitive-behavioral contingent for a long time. I don't have any statistics but I've been attending AABT for about twenty years and I've never felt like I was in the minority.

By the way, if you are interested in CBT and you aren't familiar with AABT (now ABCT), I'd recommend checking them out at http://www.aabt.org (no, I don't know if they'll be changing the url). The annual convention if a great way to stay up-to-date on new developments in CBT, attend good workshops, get CE credits, and hear some of the big names speak, and hang out with colleagues. The next convention will be November 17-20, 2005 in Washington, DC.
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: AABT becomes ABCT

It sounds like there are at least four behavior therapists that limit themselves to behavioral techniques and do not wish to be associated with cognitive therapy. Have you known cognitive therapists that limit themselves to cognitive techniques and don't engage in behavioral ones? I think I remember reading Beck saying something along the lines of, "Cognitive Therapy is cognitive in theory, and cognitive and behavioral in execution." Still, are there "straight cognitive" therapists out there? I'm just curious.
Old February 9th, 2005, 01:05 AM

Default Re: AABT becomes ABCT

Hi Ben---

I can recall when Skinner was absolutely adamant in his belief that the operant paradigm was more than sufficient to explain human behavior and that the turning inward to examine something so covert as the human thought process was totally unnecessary. I am sure that among the older crowd the orthodoxy lives------ much as in the APA the research people never forgave the Association for becoming so dominated by the 'applied'. 'professional' people. You know those psychologists who felt that psychology was not nearly ready enough to become an applied, eh, science.

-Doug