Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:04 AM

Default Art therapy and sexual identity

I am currently researching the possible use of art therapy in the sexual identity formation process, and finding next to nothing. I am hoping someone might have experience with this, or be able to refer me to an article or author.

thank you!
Laura
Old March 6th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Art therapy and sexual identity

You raise an interesting question. The underlying assumption is that sexual identity can be formed and that art therapy has or should have a role in such formation. Off course the issue of sexual identity itself is a very controversial one. There are reports of sexual identity of all variation naturally occurring in individuals. There are also reports of individuals who seem to move back and forth on a spectrum of sexual identities. I have not yet read anything to suggest that art therapy has been used to help a client “form” their sexual identity. I am not very clear myself how much nature or nurture or a combination of both determines our sexual identity. But I suggest that we need to tread this path with utmost care. What are we to “do” if a client has not yet formed a sexual identity or is questioning it? I suggest that the client is supported in working thorough it with a lot of patience and non interference. Many have strong views on how sexual identity should be formed. The danger is that art therapists knowingly and not try to influence the client one way or another which in my view is harmful. Regards, Hoda
Old March 6th, 2005, 10:52 PM

Thanks so much, Hoda.

I agree that it's a sensitive topic, and there are so many facets of it that interest me. I suppose my question is not so much 'can art therapy help a person form a sexual identiy?' but rather 'can art therapy help a person with self-acceptance and self-compassion in the process of discovering identity?' From my own experience with it, I believe that it can. For the moment I've decided to focus on coming out, and the interplay between creative expression and self-disclosure.

Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate your time.
~Laura
Old May 8th, 2005, 10:36 AM

It is a little tricky to respond to this but interesting ...

When you say art are you referring to all arts?

For example take something like painting ...

Would you like to read a book like Looking at art from the inside out - Mary Mathews Gedo?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...35676?v=glance

Or are you looking at music or even theatre?

Would like to discuss this further ...

Cheers!

Me Paparazzi
Old May 8th, 2005, 01:09 PM

That looks like a very interesting book! It definitely plays into my interest - the expressive art therapies (art therapy in particular) and coming out.

I've just written a draft of a paper that makes an argument for a connection between emotional expression and the mental and physical health of GLBT individuals in the coming out process. I ended up including information about the psychological impact of creating art on the artist - whether it's "Big A Art" such as Rodin or Hemmingway, or "little a art" such as gardening. (Thanks to Claire Michaels for the Big A-little a distinction.)

I believe that art therapy can play a central role in the coming out process. It's a study I'd like to do, that I don't believe has been done before, so any and all input is welcome!

Laura
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:01 AM

Post Re: Art therapy and sexual identity

Gedo's book is rather apt for the line of thought you seem to be pursuing!

I had particularly liked her insights into the minds of artists like Magritte, Picasso and others ...

What the artist expressed when he did and what was his state of mind and being when he expressed is what she deals with in depth and I also found psychoiconography to be a sensitive yet perceptive method to 'look' at people so to speak!

Also there would be a cultural dimension to 'expression'. If it is OK by you it might help if you say which part of the world you belong to!

Cheers

Me Paparazzi