Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old June 11th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Forum Leader

Default Immigration: Follow-up to Congress

In regard to the Mexican problem, I sent the following on June 4th and heard promptly and affirmatively from my Representative and nothing from my senators.

I next listened to a crowd in Atlanta protest the pending immigration reform act and heard their cheers when news broke of Reid's failure to achieve cloture. The Atlanta crowd chanted, "We won!"

This, the immigration battle, was the second apparent victory: the trucker organizations a few weeks earlier delayed implementation of the open borders trucking legislation.

I wish it were so easy.

==============

re: Please defeat the current bill on immigration reform.

Sirs:

I last corresponded on May 20, 2007, and have been silent since then to let my thoughts settle and not to take too much of your time. I also wanted to catch the drift of opinion in the polls and find that my thoughts are generally consistent with two-thirds of my fellow citizens. I understand another vote is due in the Senate and possibly the House.
I support current law and I remain opposed to the pending legislation. It costs too much, it gains too little, magnifies confusion and opportunities to cheat, and repeats the disasters of Ted Kennedy's 1965 Immigration Reform.
1) There are moral issues in our taking the "best" of Mexico instead of insisting that their best remain in Mexico where they might correct the deep problems in that culture. As American corporations invest in Mexico and Mexican workers on Mexican soil, those individuals will eventually insist on reforms. Our accepting both the socially dependent and the high achievers merely stabilizes the mess that currently exists in Mexico.
2) The Mexicans come here as invaders, not assimilators, attempting with population surges to reverse the losses they experienced with bullets and swords.
3) Racism is deplorable but so is ignoring good sense. I cannot ignore the demands made by illegals on our health, educational, welfare, and legal systems. Nor do I foresee those inequities vanishing because our invaders learn from American culture. Caution demands that I believe that the record so far established by legal Mexican immigrants predicts that to be established by the illegals: a record of households without fathers, children born out of wedlock, and lowered academic achievement. I also expect the illegals to have stronger tendencies for criminal acts. Indeed, I know Mexican mothers, citizens of this country, who do not want their children near the new arrivals's diseases, drugs, serial rape, and drunk driving.
4) I support our Border Patrol. I also support the idea of a creditable fence, aerial surveillance, and electronic alarms. I want drug runners nailed and I support close cooperation between local police and INS. (There are stories in Philadelphia from officers that INS promptly collects European or Oriental trespassers but not Mexicans.) I encourage every federal assistance to local communities such as Hazelton. I want English as the official language in this country.
5) I support not mass deportation but deportation of individual illegals as they encounter problems with the law or fail to pay their bills.
6) I support penalties to their employers on much the same basis as our traditional, "voluntary" compliance with traffic laws and the tax code. Most of us drive more carefully when we see a patrol car even if it is empty; most of us think twice when a prominent citizen draws special attention from the IRS.
7) I support systematic curtailment of social services and educational benefits to illegals. Limit incentives to stay and our visitors are more likely to remain visitors.
8) Finally, American corporations want "good workers" but pass the health and welfare and retirement costs for those workers onto the rest of us. Unfair! Such employers follow the tradition of indentured servitude and plantation slavery, done for the "best" reasons: the servant and the slave are better off here than where they were. Americans also hire illegals because "everybody else does it" but a cop on the Schuylkill hears that excuse several times every day.

Thank you for your hard work...