Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old January 5th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Forum Leader

Exclamation Canada in Stage 3

Canada in Stage 3

Winner-take-all is a Stage 3 condition as resources diminish. Stage 4 is collapse (See Brody, 2003, 2006, 2008 and Csermely 2006, 75). Mark Steyn is a journalist, author, and United States citizen whose crime is being too clever and too truthful. In his concerns for western civilizations, he fights for all of us, even for Moslems.

JimB

"Here's what offends this writer

"Why should free-born Canadians require the permission of the state to read my columns?

"Mark Steyn | Jan 3, 2008 | 11:36 am EST

"Do you remember a cover story Maclean's ran on Oct. 23, 2006?

"No? Me neither, and I wrote it. Such is life in the weekly mag biz. But it was an excerpt on various geopolitical and demographic trends from my then brand new tome, America Alone: The End of the World as we Know It. I don't know whether my bestselling book is still available in Canadian bookstores, but it's coming soon to a Canadian 'courtroom' near you! The Canadian Islamic Congress and a handful of Osgoode Hall law students have complained about the article in Maclean's to (at last count) three of Canada's many 'human rights' commissions, two of which have agreed to hear the 'case.' It would be nice to report that the third sent the plaintiffs away with a flea in their ears saying that in a free society it's no business of the state to regulate the content of privately owned magazines. Alas, I gather it's only bureaucratic torpor that has temporarily delayed the province of Ontario's enthusiastic leap upon the bandwagon. These students are not cited in the offending article. Canadian Muslims are not the subject of the piece. Indeed, Canada is not mentioned at all, except en passant. Yet Canada's "human rights" commissions have accepted the premise of the Canadian Islamic Congress--that the article potentially breaches these students' 'human rights.'"

Lots more at: http://www.macleans.ca/columnists/ar...31_1360&page=1

also at: http://www.marksteyn.com/

References:
Brody, J. (2003) Seeds of Leviathan: Networks & Genomes. (Delivered by Todd Stark) Annual Meeting, Association for Politics and the Life Sciences, Philadelphia, PA, August 30.
Brody, J. (2004) Bipolar disorder: self-interested networks, cycling, and their management. Chapter 2 in M. Brown (Ed.) Progress in Bipolar Disorder Research. Hauppage, NY: Nova Science Biomedical Series, pp. 33-64.
Brody J (2006) Life's Organized in a Tinker Toy Way. Poster presentation at the XVIII Congress, International Society for Human Ethology, Detroit, MI, July 31-August 3. 32 pp, approx 60 refs.
Brody J (2008) Rebellion: From Physics to Personal Will. Lincoln, NE: iUniverse.
Csermely, Peter (2006) Weak Links: Stabilizers of Complex Systems from Proteins to Social Networks. NY: Springer.
Steyn, Mark (2006) America Alone: The End of the World As We Know It. Washington DC: Regnery.