Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old April 19th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Forum Leader

Cool Carbon Sensitivity Training

"White guilt" is Shelby Steele's explanation for why black indignation leads not to reprisal but to gifts. And preacher-radio-host Terry Anderson was correct when he shouted at a D.C. rally: "White people are stupid."

The "guilt" and "stupidity" thing - not that I believe Steele's explanation - opens our door and wallet to all manner of hustlers.

The latest was announced by Hammerhead, a regular caller to America's Trucking Network: unremembered sources report a psychologist's organizing "sensitivity training" about global warming. Further, the organizer advocates this training be ordered by courts for anyone who collects green infractions. It happened with ineffective programs for DUI; it can happen if you use an oil-burner!

I woke up at 3:25 am just long enough to hear his call and groan, "Oh shit."

I hope it ain't true but I know my profession too well...

JimB

Source: www.700WLW.com by the Net, 700AM on your radio band if you are a convenient distance from Cincinnati between midnight and 5 AM, seven nights per week. Lots of family stuff as well as spying on what the goverment will or won't do about illegals or the price of gas. For example, there is said to be more oil traded every day in futures markets than exists on this planet. I think I believe this one...

References:

Mackay, Charles (1841/1980) Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds. NY: Three Rivers Press. Mackay told how a tulip bulb in Holland could be worth a mule, a cart, or even a house. He lists about twenty similar fads. If Dawkins can believe in extra-terrestrials, then paper oil can be worth more than what you put in your tank. Fourteen billion years of evolution and/or intelligent design have produced the most superstitious critter known. And it's not all in church or your neighboring mosque: check "Coast to Coast," the most popular show on the radio some evening!
Sagan, C. (1995). The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark. NY: Random House.
Steele, Shelby (2006/2007) White Guilt: How Blacks and Whites Together Destroyed the Promise of the Civil Rights Era. NY: Harper Collins. (Beautifully written, reminded me of a lot of things that I, hidden in the library, missed in the '60s, and convinces me that a phenomenon - white guilt - exists although I might call it something different and see it as a biological rather than as a culturally-defined event. Not a "must read" but close to it!)