Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old February 26th, 2005, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Request info on definitive study

*sigh*, not quite done grinding yer ax are ya?

I dont know if the psychology industry has caused more harm than good for a majority of those involved with it. I know it has caused a lot of good for me personally, and not much - if any - harm.

I know quite a few people who have had the same experience with the industry. Although granted - most of us will agree with you that finding a professional that is a good fit for us individuals can be difficult. Especially if you dont have unlimited funds are your disposal.

I also know some people that has felt harmed by the psychology industry, although for most of them they have continued searching for healing within the industry after the bad experience - and found it.

I agree that the people within the psychology industry should honestly look for weaknesses (or should I call it possible negative side effects) in their treatment forms, and do their best to guard against those.

I agree that most people working within the psychology industry spend very little time thinking about and working with possible negative side effects of current treatment models - and that is not a good thing.

I agree that there should be more emphasis on certain ethical aspects of therapy that is difficult to make laws around. IE there are good laws in effect to protect clients and therapists both, but certain things cant be legalized, and the ethics of some of those things should still be *discussed*, and they are often not.

I agree that in some ways psychology is not really a science, although in other ways it is.

My proposed solution is to work within the system. To use the good parts, and to hopefully put my own little stamp on the industry in the long run. I guess *g*, I am arrogant enough to think that I could affect some positive influences of my own.

Warm regards
Da Friendly Puter Tech
Old February 27th, 2005, 12:12 AM

Yeah okay --thanks for your answer. But just like the baby bird, once touched by humans and placed back in the nest, will NEVER AGAIN be embraced by the parent bird... just EXACTLY analogous: any person touched by shrinks will NEVER AGAIN be embraced by society or their peer group. It's a LIFELONG ostracision, literally a condemnation of one's soul to eternal damnation. ["Psyche" is a precise synonym of "soul", according to Websters.] Now, try and sleep tonight!

I detest this life and will be glad when it's over. It's entirely about hero worship... it's entirely unprincipled... it's entirely about despotism, shamanism, tyranny and demagoguery. First your hero is Adolf; then it's someone else; then it's UBL... always follow the leader. It's always a hero worship thing, worship some beast and his image; principles are left behind in the dust.
Old February 27th, 2005, 06:16 AM

Joe,

I am sorry you feel that way. I am sorry that is your life experience, it sounds like a painful one.

I have certainly been a therapy consumer myself, and have never felt negatively branded for it. But that probably doesnt set you at ease any.

It sounds like you are pretty far down right now, so maybe its time to go back to basics and see if it is possible to find just one good thing you can do for yourself today?

Warm regards,
Da Friendly Puter Tech
Old February 27th, 2005, 04:25 PM

As I stated in an earlier post, I don't actually hold a grudge against shrinks, or blame them personally for the World they were born in to -- and I am very grateful for this forum to air my views. And, I won't ever find fault with diligent honest work. In fact, I am extremely pleased that shrinks' ethics have (seemingly) bettered and bettered over the years. They no longer harangue me continually or beg obsequious gestures of me.

In reality, there's only one true "mental illness"... and that's choosing Psych for a major.

Last edited by joe_pilot; February 27th, 2005 at 08:29 PM..