Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old January 25th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Associate Moderator

Question Dreikursian to Classical Patient Transition

Dreikurs to Classical Transition help:
My initial training in Adlerian psychology almost 15 years ago was done through a Chicago associate professor. I have been training in Classical Adlerian psychology with Henry Stein for about 2 years now and I sure appreciate the greater depth and insight of the classical understanding. The problem I am having is that I have "long term patients" who started working with me during my "Chicago School" period. Although I could usually see the "basic mistakes" I had no understanding of how to assist them to correct these long term wrong direction goals. Has anyone else trained "Chicago School" and made the transition to "Classical Adlerian Psychology"? If there are those out there who have or are doing this, how do we share these better tools with these long term clients? I am finding it really hard to get these folks moving when I had not worked with any notion that the life style could be dissolved. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old January 30th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Dreikursian to Classical Patient Transition

Certainly, the transition of changing perspectives with a client would be a challenge. However, the initial hurdle for the therapist is believing in a new perspective about the style of life that he has not yet witnessed or experienced. Dissolving the style of life and fictional final goal, is "uncharted territory" requiring deeper study and exploration than is generally offered by training institutes. An overview of this level of functioning was provided by Abraham Maslow in his book The Farther Reaches of Human Nature. (Unfortunately, Maslow's ideas are not currently in the psychological mainstream in this country or in Europe. It is fascinating though, to learn that there is growing interest in his work in China.)

On a practical level, I don't think you will find that many clients who are sufficiently motivated to strive for this advanced level of psychological development. The possibility of "optimal development" should not be introduced too early in treatment, but only after the client has built up enough courage and success in overcoming old difficulties, and then exhibits an appetite for greater challenges.