Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old October 26th, 2004, 02:29 PM

Lightbulb Seeking information - Internet Dating behaviours

Hi there.

I am a psychology undergard, studying in Edinburgh and am studying internet dating behaviours for my dissertation. At the moment, I'm focussing on disinhibition and deindividuation theory to look at whether people are more comfortable making initial contact on line, but any information, links, thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Chris R
Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:26 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Seeking information - Internet Dating behaviours

Andrea Baker has done quite a bit of work in this area.
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:40 PM

It is almost embarrassing to write to someone who is of the age that maybe my son would have been if I had one, but I suggest to consider the following : older people (45-55) have less chance of finding a consort socially (in the pub,at a club) than the twenty somethings. They have already had a god bit of life, been married/lived with/divorced /or even widowed. It is very embarrassing to trot out all your intimate details in a crowded room or in front of possibly not very sympathetic relatives, who think of you as an old cow/batty old git etc. and can't imagine you "really doing it". Professionally, like me, these people might actually be in a senior position,and therefore in no way inclined to parade their desperation/vulnerability/simple desire to get laid/ before the sniggering typing pool. Online dating offers a kind of privacy, a chance to get an angle, a contact, a bit of privacy, to explore something that might be very difficult in ordinary social circles, and to find out a bit about somebody and to meet away from the usual treadmill. It is also very fashionable right now in France.
Old September 8th, 2005, 05:55 PM

Men use it because they're all MARRIED and you can't figure it out as quick that way.
Old June 11th, 2006, 09:07 AM

well you should really try and be a member of webdatedotcom. i guess you would find enough people there that you could base your research upon.
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreyn59
Hi there.

I am a psychology undergard, studying in Edinburgh and am studying internet dating behaviours for my dissertation. At the moment, I'm focussing on disinhibition and deindividuation theory to look at whether people are more comfortable making initial contact on line, but any information, links, thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Chris R
I think when one initially register on an online dating site they have expectations and hopes that this may be the best way to come in touch with singles and may find out perfect match.

As most of our behavior is influenced by past experiences, our current views on dating might also be influenced by our past, or even the very first teenage, dating experiences.

However, You can search on the internet and may find out hundreds of articles on dating behaviours.

Last edited by ForumAdmin; July 28th, 2008 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: removed affiliate dating link