View Single Post
Unread May 22nd, 2005, 08:26 AM

Arrow Re: Sleeping with the Client

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian
This discussion irritates me, perhaps even makes me angry. I can understand that some clients may not have new and interesting stories for the counselors.. but do you realise how much a client has to pay( in a private practice), just that someone at least tries to listen!! Maybe a knock or bell for every euro that falls in your pocket may keep you awake!!

I think, that when you find yourself sleepy with a client, it is your responsibility to search for what is causing that and open the discussion with the client. Find an approach that keeps you more active, be creative

greetings, Lillian (the Netherlands)
Lillian, thanks for your honesty about your irritaion. I notice you are a student. As a student I hel a belief similar to yours. Then experience with clients taught me that some of them are actually boring. No, human pain and suffering is not boring, but there are some clients who will drone on about the same thing week after week. It can be soporific. Plus, therapist are human. We get tired and sleepy for the same reasons as everyone else. Several people mentioned lack of sleep the night before. Personally, I have a chronic medical condition that causes total exhaustion by mid-afternoon. I struggle with this on a daily basis. Please don't chastise others for being huma.

Now, that said. I agree with you that the therapist has a responsibility to find out what is making them sleepy and address it. In my case I am working with my doctors to find ways of coping. There is no cure for my illness. We can treat the symptoms and I have to find ways of coping. I've used every suggestion mentioned in this thread and others.
In other cases, I agree with the others who said they examine what it is about that client that makes them sleep and address it. If it's something within the therapist s/he needs to deal with it. If it's something related to the client, avoidance, the way s/he presents, it needs to be addressed with the client.