View Single Post
Unread October 25th, 2004, 03:19 PM

Default Opinions on Burns' Therapist Toolkit?

Just wondering if anyone on the board has any experience with and/or opinions of Dr. David Burns' "Therapist Toolkit". According to Dr. Burns' website, this toolkit is "400 + pages of comprehensive state-of-the-art assessment and treatment tools for the mental health professional." Covers depression, anxiety, relationship satisfaction, etc. Burns claims 90-95% reliability, and that the instruments within have "excellent convergent and discriminant validity and are highly correlated with well established instruments."

I'm considering the package for a couple reasons. First of all, it's only $189 for the whole shooting match, and that includes unlimited reproduction rights. More importantly, it's actually available to me -- while I fully expect to reach Pearson's highest qualification level (A), I'm not planning to reach Harcourt's highest qualification level (C) in the near future, and Harcourt manages the Beck instruments (my first choice). I fully understand the imperative not to work beyond my qualifications, so I'm not thrilled with the prospect of referring clients to a Ph.D. every time I want to run a BDI-II. (Whether or not C-Level is actually appropriate for the BDI-II is another question altogether.)

Anyway, cheap and accessible are good factors, but only if the psychometrics are there. Has anyone worked with Burns' instruments before? What kind of reputation do they have in the field? Can anyone point me in the direction of some useful references? I haven't been able to find anything about the component instruments in the MMY, which makes me a little nervous.