View Single Post
Unread March 11th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

Hi. My name is Eric Millman. I too am a beginner at this, andam not sure what kinds of questions I would want to ask. I just discovered this thread, which I think is a GREAT idea! I haven't had a chance to read through it yet, but am printing it up to read later this evening. I would like to mention that there is syllubus for a course offered by John F. Newbauer, Ed.D. called Principles of Individual Psychology. You can find it at
http://www.indpsych.com/401_syl.htm. I think it is an actual on-campus college course. What's nice about it is that it prescribes readings, particularly from Ansbacher & Ansbacher's THE INDIVIDUAL PSYCHOLOGY OF ALFRED ADLER, and SUPERIORITY & SOCIAL INTEREST, which they also edited. I believe the latter is out of print but can be found through Amazon. The other main text he utilizes is A PRIMER OF ADLERIAN PSYCHOLOGY: THE ANALYTIC-BEHAVIORAL-COGNITIVE PSYCHOLOGY OF ALFRED ADLER (Mosak, H. & Maniacci, M ) This book puts Adler's ideas in a modern context, and has review questions at the end of each chapter. The instructer even adds work projects to help facilitate the learning. Many of you are probably aware of this already, but neophyte that I am, I thought I would pass it on as an additional source for learning about Adler.

I am in my last semester in Loyola's M.S. program for Pastoral Counseling. It is only recently, however, that the Adler bug has taken it's hold on me, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I presently work as a addictions counselor at a methadone clinic in Baltimore, MD. I think Adler's ideas fit in very well with the approaches I've been using (12 Step, Cog.-Beh., Motivational Interviewing, etc.) I would like to learn how to utilize Adler's ideas more efficiently. I hope you will allow me to join this thread as I try to grasp Adler's approach to my own personal and professional work.