View Single Post
Unread February 16th, 2006, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Free will v. downward causation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H.
After all Margaret, using your words, you’re just choosing the behavior (and thinking) that feels best to you from the alternatives; you have no other choice.
Margaret, he's just baiting you. Though I've warned you against 'tilting against the windmill' that is Fred, you've been doing a great job. However, before he frustrates you out of this forum as he did so many others, I'd like for you to consider the advice I'm following: read his posts and correct his misrepresentations/misunderstandings and merely agree/disagree with his points. Anything more that you try to write to 'teach' him something will just fall on pretty deaf ears. You're encouraged to review all of his 120 or so postings to see just how right I am, below are examples of responses to some of his postings.

If he does frustrate you out of the forum, please leave a post that I can add to the others, below . Or hey, if you just want to make a comment now, I'll add it.

Here's Lizzie's last response to Fred:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie Pickard
This is going nowhere, and you're getting condescending. Farewell.
To which Todd replied:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddStark
Congratulations, Fred, your brilliant master strategy of unwavering recalcitrance has netted you yet another grand victory in this forum. And you didn't even need me as a stooge this time!
And here's Carey's last response to Fred:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey N
Here's my last post on this thread. You don't really try to process what other people say, but rather selectively read their posts and then throw back ad hominem comments. It's frustrating.
Fred implied that I'm dishonest when I've not seen as amazing an example of 'taking out of context' as when he turned:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJrzk
Fred, could you please provide a source so I can verify, "there were rumblings, somewhere, from Dennett suggesting that he may be somewhat less than enthusiastic about his own atheism", that would be truly interesting. Though if they really are only "rumblings" of "suggestions" that he "may" be "somewhat"... I don't think that would impress me very much.
into:
Quote:
TomJ: . . . could you please provide a source . . . I don't think that would impress me very much.
And here's another 'discussion' Fred had with Todd:

Quote:
Back in the 1950s, when I was an atheist in grade school, we all prayed (sort of), said things like “one nation under God,” and sang Christmas songs. Far as I know, no one was psychologically damaged. That’s before you GD “secularists” and religious fanatics started having your hissy fits. Y’all really mucked things up … hope Santa craps in your stockings.
Quote:
hope Santa craps in your stockings.
Quote:
Nice. I used to love the spirit of Christmas. The "believers" like you are threatening to kill it for me with their very un-Christ-like partisan rhetoric. I'm trying not to lose faith. You present a serious challenge for me sometimes, my friend. I wish you nothing but joy. I hope that chip falls from your shoulder some day while we are both breathing and able to appreciate the event.
And, Todd more recently posted:
Quote:
I know Fred hears this sort of argument and can honestly perceive nothing but sophistry on my part. Which is why I haven't been contributing here for a while, there is seemingly no middle ground and it just gets too frustrating for me just to express my viewpoint and not even remotely be heard.
Well, here is one more attempt, just in case the world of the forum has changed in the past few months.