View Single Post
Unread April 2nd, 2009, 09:54 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: dissociative states, how to get back out

Thanks for your kind words.

It is all about gently appreciating and tucking in the kids. Neither therapist nor client should brute force them. Older parts can be with them between sessions so they aren't alone. They can be invited to say something before they go. The therapist must remain gentle but firm about the end of session, but make it clear it is a temporary tucking in, not a rejecting or pushing away. I explain in age appropriate language -- to the degree possible -- why we have to stop. I acknowledge the real issue - their hurt and sadness about not having a mommy (or whatever the truth is), and reaffirm that we will return to their stuff when the time is right. I express sadness that we have to stop.

This teaches about pacing and containment, strengthens older resources, resonates with their attachment pain.

There is a lot more to it, and I included extensive scripting about it, with cartoons, in the book. And now, so sorry, but it is time for me to stop. Anything that simply must be said before I go? There are clouds waiting with their motors running, and I'll wave goodbye.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Looking Through the Eyes of Trauma & Dissociation"