View Single Post
Unread May 2nd, 2006, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Evolved Psychology - Brain Region Tied to Regret Identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H.
But “we” can “control” fear, usually, at least to some degree—e.g., we can choose to take Xanax, or we can choose to control certain kinds of fear through behavioral therapy. You can choose to control your fear of heights by not looking down. Perhaps eventually we’ll be able to choose to have some kind of surgery on the amygdale to “control” fear, or PTSD.

But I do wonder if you yourself will ever be able to control your propensity for making such thoughtless assertion like you’ve just done here again? Perhaps you could just choose to not post? Or choose to actually consider the implications of whatever you’re asserting b/f you post? Nah, probably not.
You guessed right.

All those examples of controlling fear involved changing the state of the brain, that's my point. Will depends completely on the state of the brain. And, yes, I've given it a lot of thought. Just because your philosophy is wrong does not mean that I don't consider the alternatives.

BTW, I really liked Wiki's statement on 'emergence': "In fact, calling a phenomenon emergent is sometimes used in lieu of a more meaningful explanation". A millennium ago, the motion of planets baffled the flatlanders; today, we're baffled by the complexity of the brain. We will solve it and know the source of will, and it will not be free no matter how strong the illusion. In fact, the regret module that is the subject of this thread and the repression function in the other thread are large, controlling, parts of that 'free' will.

Last edited by TomJrzk; May 2nd, 2006 at 11:01 AM.