View Single Post
Unread September 2nd, 2004, 02:13 AM

Unhappy How to handle this

I am interested in finding out if anyone has had experiences with angry parents of children with special mental and developmental needs. I have been working in the field for 10 years and no matter how many wonderfull dedicated parents I meet, I always seem to find the 1 or 2 or 3 out of control and extremely angry clients and prospective clients that bring several years worth of rage to my table. I want to know if this is just the way it is and how to best cope and interpret and deal with these issues. I have tried several different techniques now including extended interviews to figure out if we are a working "match" or not and also I have worked on taking a "you seem very stressed out and hurt approach concerned approached when lashed out at" I know numerous intellligent people who have had their lives almost torn apart by these types of angry advocates and gossips. I know many people who have switched fields because of these dilemmas. Do any seasoned people ou there have any advice or words of wisdom? please help!