View Single Post
Unread February 26th, 2005, 06:29 AM

Question Re: EMDR: sometimes it just clicks AND A new question...

i can only speak for my experience...(and i get the feeling that EMDR is different for everyone, at least on some level)...but i too am dealing with sexual abuse in my EMDR and it is does feel like a two steps foward one step back and sometimes one foward and two back.

I was pushing foward in my EMDR, then something happened and I got stalled. And then an anniversary date (well actually an anniversary period) came up and i was stalled further and felt like i lost some ground. so i had to "get up the courage" to go in again to these images from EMDR.

So it seems my method is (1) going into these difficult images and "test" my strength and then (2) I have to "step back out" and "step into a safer image" to get properly equipped and strengthened emotionally with things I was missing, so I can (3) try again to go back into the difficult images--though with new tools.

Right now i'm once again in a mode of getting "new tools" or "tools i never knew existed" and will try later to go back in.

it is frustrating and sometimes seems slow...and part of my nature is to be impatient....so frustration comes out of that. a lot of the difficulty comes from not believing I "deserve" healing and not being able to let myself put any "blame" to my family, to believe they could "allow" certain things to happen.

I have a question about this though....The place I'm getting my "new tools" is a very vivid world....with solid images and sensations that fill every sense....it is quite a "fantasy" world (with me and one other guiding "mother-like" person). Though this world and the mother-like person residing there does seem to be providing me with a place to see and experience what i've missed and lacked growing up and reminds me what every "child" needs growing up. Even while i'm immersed in this place in EMDR i have a sense that it is a fantasy world...for myself as a "child" in that place outright said to the "mother-like person": Is this a fantasy? And the mother-like person said, "Yes"...though she said it in a way to not make it feel like a "bad" thing.

Without commenting on my specific case (as I know you say here ALL the time)...could you answer this question. Are fantasy-scapes, or alternative worlds, in the mind a "normal" thing in the EMDR world to help deal with things?

thank you.