Behavior OnLine Forums

Behavior OnLine Forums (https://www.behavioronline.net/)
-   EMDR (https://www.behavioronline.net/emdr/)
-   -   Aspergers? (https://www.behavioronline.net/emdr/97-aspergers/)

Claire Letham August 2nd, 2004 07:08 AM

Aspergers?

Looking for information from other professionals using EMDR therapy on their experiences or views on using EMDR for treatment of trauma with a patient who has a diagnosis of Aspergers. I feel it could really help the patient process the negative feelings associated with the particular incident and the resulting loss of trust in other people. Would, of course, not proceed if contraindicated and would appreciate other treatment suggestions.

Thankyou.

Claire

Sandra Paulsen August 2nd, 2004 11:41 PM

Re: Aspergers?

I don't have personal experience with this, so I hope someone else will post. However, since much of the treatment for Aspergers involves teaching concretely and repeatedly, I can envision using a performance enhancement strategy of EMDR to vivify the skills one is rehearsing.

I haven't seen any case reports on the subject, let alone studies.

Any other takers?

Claire Letham August 3rd, 2004 12:10 PM

Thanks Sandra! :) My client seems to have a form of Asperger's which presents like schizophrenia; some communication problems, concrete thinking, paranoid ideas from time to time and withdrawal. They also have obsessional ideas, which I feel may be related to the trauma of systematic bullying over years rather than soley symptoms of illness. They used to be able to work full-time and live independantly, but the effect of the bullying changed this. Cognitively they function quite well and the treatment would be trying to takle the negative cognitions brought on by the trauma as opposed to treating the sypmtoms of or condition of Aspergers (I would have no idea where to start with that one as it is not really my field.) I have run an EMDR clinic weekly for about a year and a half now and have treated peolpe with a variety of ailments and conditions. I think EMDR could really help this patient overcome some of the effects of the bullying, but given the diagnosis i wanted to be cautious and ask for advice from people more experienced than myself. Have looked up several books,journals and web-pages and attempted to join what forums I could, to obtain some information on how or if to proceed, but, so far, to no avail. If anyone can help me, it would be most appreciated.

dmuldawer August 3rd, 2004 07:52 PM

About Aspergers...I don't have it, but do have NLD, which has similarities, and often responds to the same treatment.

I've been doing EMDR now, on and off, for about a year and a half. It is still puzzling if it is working as I don't get the giant breakthroughs or relief from trauma I've read about in books. The same thoughts and images keep coming back with all sorts of target statements. What I have noticed is it helps me make new connections, kind of stream-of-consciousness thoughts. For people with LD, the structure is very reassuring, and the focus on body sensations is excellent for people like myself, who are more in their heads.

The EMDR has made no impact on the NLD itself, but it has helped me connect past memories to current experiences and perceptions.

About your patient with Aspergers, people with LDs often have central nervous system damage, which can cause them to react differently than expected to treatments. Aspergers also has the challenge of not being tuned into feelings or the names of feelings....that's where body sensations are useful. Personally, I'd give it a try for a few sessions, and see if there's a difference. My therapist started me off with mini sessions--15 or 20 minutes. The full length sessions leave me exhausted.

Do keep us posted.

Best,
Diane

Skyler June 24th, 2010 08:44 AM

The therapy for the Asperger's syndrome mainly concentrates on three-core symptoms: physical clumsiness, obsessive or repetitive routines, and poor communication skills. It is unfortunate that there is no single treatment for the children suffering from the entire three-core symptoms. But professionals do agree that the syndrome can be cured when the intervention is carried out at the earliest possible time.

Nicolas July 26th, 2010 12:40 AM

Aspergers is nothing but a neurological disorder. There are effective treatments which can cure this disease. Rather than applying static treatment, an emotional attachment with the patient will be much better. The main aspect you require is a lot of patience to make the kid interact and communicate with others. These children’s require some more parenting care than other normal children’s. Proper medication with positive reinforcement and support helps more to reduce the syndrome.