Behavior OnLine Forums

Behavior OnLine Forums (https://www.behavioronline.net/)
-   Classical Adlerian Psychotherapy (https://www.behavioronline.net/classical-adlerian-psychotherapy/)
-   -   Adlerian Family Tree & Timeline (https://www.behavioronline.net/classical-adlerian-psychotherapy/64-adlerian-family-tree-timeline/)

Henry Stein July 19th, 2004 09:38 AM

Adlerian Family Tree & Timeline

I am assembling an Adlerian Family Tree & Timeline and am having difficulty finding our the birth and death dates of the following people. Any other biographical information or photographs would be very helpful. Either post the information here, or e-mail it to me at htstein@att.net.

Danica Deutsch
Helene Papanek
Irvin Neufeld
Ida Loewy
Franz Plewa
Nahum Shoobs
Leo Rattner
Phyllis Bottome
Leonard Sief
Willard Beecher
Margarite Beecher
F.G. Crookshank
Asya Kadis
Edward Schneider
Joseph Meiers
Oliver Brachfield
Leonhard Deutsch
Martha Holub
Carl Furtmueller
Ernst Papanek
Jehoshua Bierer
Otto Reuhle
Paul Rom
Beran Wolfe
Lewis Way
Paul Brodsky
Greta Brodsky

Manu Jaaskelainen September 8th, 2004 04:00 PM

Re: Adlerian Family Tree & Timeline

Dear Henry,
I think there is a small error in Leonhard Seif's name - in your list it is written Leonard Sief. However, I presume you mean Seif. The relevant dates for Seif are 1866-1949. There has been some controversy about him, because during the nazi-period he was "honored" as an "inventor" of individual psychology. The name of Adler's school was changed to "we-psychology", and Seif was to act as the "real Aryan inventor". Seif had been one of closest co-workers of A.A. According to Phyllis Bottome, it was a great schock to her that Seif acted as he did "because this man had a conscience". Seif had been Bottome's mentor, as well as Alice Rühle-Gerstel's and M.H.Görings mentor. Rühle-Gerstel was one of the marxist Adlerians, while M.H.Göring became famous as a founder of the "Göring-Institute" during the Nazi-period. About this institute, see the book by Cocks. According to Ansbacher, Seif was no nazi hack in spite of his close connections with the governmental authorities during this period. - Most of facts here, I have from the history of IP written by Bruder-Bezzel.

Henry Stein September 9th, 2004 09:50 AM

Dear Manu,
Thank you for the corrections and information about Seif. Ed Hoffman, in "The Drive for Self." characterizes Seif as a bearlike man with a forceful manner. However, he was apparently quite masterful as a therapist.

Henry Stein September 9th, 2004 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The attached Adlerian timeline file is a work in progress. It will be updated as new information becomes available. (See the latest file update in the October 15th message.)

Manu Jaaskelainen September 15th, 2004 02:47 PM

A small note on spelling: Henry, please note that the German name Rühle, that contains that difficult letter u with two dots, should be spelled Ruehle, or simply Ruhle. In the case of Otto and Alicia, the spelling in the Timeline is Reuhle. All this provided that the original German letter is not available.

Henry Stein September 15th, 2004 08:39 PM

Manu, Thank you for your careful proofing of the list and the corrections. They will be included in the next revision of the timeline.

Henry Stein October 15th, 2004 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The file attachment is the latest update of the "Early Adlerians" timeline.