Behavior OnLine Forums

Behavior OnLine Forums (https://www.behavioronline.net/)
-   Cognitive Therapy (https://www.behavioronline.net/cognitive-therapy/)
-   -   Recommended Readings in CBT (https://www.behavioronline.net/cognitive-therapy/151-recommended-readings-cbt/)

James Pretzer September 12th, 2004 09:28 PM

Recommended Readings in CBT

My page of recommended readings for mental health professionals at Behavioral Health Resources http://www.behavioralhealthassoc.com...essionals.html.
hasn't been updated since 1999. I hope to update it in the forseeable future but, until then, I'll post additional recommendations here and I'd encourage participants to post their recommendations here as well.

James Pretzer September 12th, 2004 09:30 PM

Behavioral Experiments in CBT

I've just recieved a review copy of the Oxford Guide to Behavioural Experiments in Cognitive Therapy (Bennett-Levy, et al, 2004) from Oxford University Press and it looks very promising. The volume starts with a discussion of the principles involved in devising effective behavioral experiments and then includes 18 chapters each of which discusses the use of behavioral experiments with different problems.

To quote the preface "this book is written by clinicians for clinicians." The discussions are clear and detailed with many concrete examples and suggestions for overcoming common problems. It will be a valuable resource for both students and experienced clinicians.

James Pretzer September 12th, 2004 09:34 PM

CBT with Children and Adolescents

Judy Beck and John Piacentini get credit for these recommendations:

Deblinger, E., & Heflin, A.H. (1996). Treating sexually abuse children and their nonoffending parents: A cognitive behavioral approach. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.

Dudley, C.D. (1997). Treating depressed children: A therapeutic manual of cognitive behavioral interventions. Oakland: New Harbinger Publications.

Epstein, N.E., Schlesinger, S.E., & Dryden, W. (Eds.). (1988). Cognitive-behavioral therapy with families. New York: Brunner-Mazel.

Friedberg, R.D., & Crosby, L.E. (2001). Therapeutic exercises for children: Professional guide. Sarasota, FL: Professional Resource Press.

Friedberg, R.D., Friedberg, B.A., & Friedberg, R.J. (2001). Therapeutic exercises for children: Guided self-discovery using cognitive-behavioral techniques. Sarasota, FL: Professional Resource Press.

Graham, P. (1998). Cognitive-behaviour therapy for children and families. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.

Kendall, P.C. (Ed.) (2000). Child & adolescent therapy: Cognitive-behavioral procedures. 2nd ed. New York: Guilford.

Knell, S.M. (1993). Cognitive behavioral play therapy. Northvale, NJ: Jason Aronson, Inc.

March, J.S., & M¸lle, K. (undated) How I Ran OCD Off My Land!: A Guide to Cognitive-Behavioral Psychotherapy for Children and Adolescents with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Durham: Duke University Medical Center.

Rapee, R., Wignall, A., Hudson, J., & Schniering, C. (2000). Treating Anxious Children and Adolescents: An Evidence-Based Approach. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.

Rapee, R., Spence, S., Cobham, V., & Wignall, A. (2000). Helping Your Anxious Child: A Step-by-Step Guide. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.

Reinecke, M.A., Dattilio, F.M., & Freeman, A. (Eds.). (1996). Cognitive therapy with children and adolescents. New York: Guilford.

Ronen, T. (1997). Cognitive developmental therapy with children. New York: John Wiley & Sons.

Seligman, M.P., Reivich, K., Jaycox, L., & Gillham, J. (1995). The optimistic child. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co.

Temple, S.(1997) Brief Therapy for Adolescent Depression. Professional Resource Press.

Wilkes, T.C.R., Belsher, G., Rush, A.J., & Frank, E. (1994). Cognitive therapy for depressed adolescents. New York: Guilford.

James Pretzer September 12th, 2004 09:50 PM

Clinical Applications of Cognitive Therapy now in Second Edition

The original Clinical Applications of Cognitive Therapy (Freeman, Pretzer, Fleming & Simon, 1990) is a book I'm proud of. It was a volume written for practitioners that took the basic principles of CT at provided a detailed discussion of how they're applied in treating depression, suicidality, anxiety disorders, and each of the personality disorders. The relevant research was discussed but the biggest emphasis was on clear explanations and concrete examples taken from clinical practice. We were quite pleased to hear from clinicians that the book actually was useful.

Now, after quite a struggle, Clinical Applications of Cognitive Therapy, Second Edition (Freeman, Pretzer, Fleming & Simon, 2004) has been completed and is in print (from Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publications). We've updated our previous coverage to take into account the research and clinical innovation that has occurred over the past 15 years. In addition, we've added chapters discussing CT with Children and Adolescents, CT with Couples and Families, CT in Groups, and CT with Substance Abuse.

I'll be interested in hearing what people think. My sense is that it came out quite well. (Disclosure: Obviously I'm an author and may well be biased - buy it and find out.)

Wayne Froggatt September 13th, 2004 08:31 PM

Re: Recommended Readings in CBT

Here is my list of CBT readings (books published in the past five years):

Andrews, G., Creamer, M., Crino, R., Hunt, C., Lampe, L. & Page, A. (2003). The Treatment of Anxiety Disorders: Clnician guides and patient manuals. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
Bernard, Michael E. & Wolfe, Janet L. (2000). The REBT Resource Book for Practitioners - Second edition. New York: Albert Ellis Institute
Bishop, F. Michler. (2001). Managing Addictions: Cognitive, Emotive, and Behavioral Techniques. Northvale, NJ: Jason Aronson
Bond, F.W. & Dryden, W. (2002). Handbook of Brief Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Bond, Frank W. & Dryden, Windy (Eds.). (2002). Handbook of Brief Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. Chichester: Wiley
Craig A. White. (2001). Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Chronic Medical Problems: A guide to assessment and treatment in practice. Chichester: Wiley
Dryden, W. & Neenan, M. (Eds.). (2002). Rational Emotive Behaviour Group Therapy. London: Whurr
Dryden, W. (2001). Reason to change: A rational emotive behaviour therapy (REBT) workbook. Hove: Brunner/Routledge
Dryden, W. (2003). Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy: Theoretical developments. Brunner-Routledge
Dryden, Windy. (2002). Fundamentals of Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy: A Training Handbook. London: Whurr
Friedberg, R. D., Crosby, L. E., Friedberg, B. A., Rutter, J. G., & Knight, K. R. (2000). Making cognitive behavioral therapy user friendly to children. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice
Froggatt, Wayne. (2001). Learning to Use Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy: An integrated approach. Hastings: Rational Training Resources
Froggatt, Wayne. (2001). Learning to Use Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy: An outline for new practitioners. Hastings: Rational Training Resources
Froggatt, Wayne. (2002). The Rational Treatment of Anxiety: An outline for cognitive-behavioural intervention with clinical anxiety disorders. Hastings: Rational Training Resources
Laidlaw, K., Thompson, L.W., Dick-Siskin, L. & Gallagher-Thompson, D. (2003). Cognitive Behaviour Therapy with Older People. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons Ltd
McMullin, Rian E. (2000). The New Handbook of Cognitive Therapy Techniques. New York: W.W. Norton & Company
Moore, Richard & Garland, Anne. (2003). Cognitive Therapy for Chronic & Persistent Depression. Chichester: Wiley
Moorey, Stirling & Greer, Steven. (2002). Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for People With Cancer (2nd Edition). Oxford: Oxford University Press
Neenan, Michael & Dryden, Windy. (2001). Learning from Errors in Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy. London: Whurr

Regards,
Wayne Froggatt

Stefano Amico January 16th, 2005 03:00 PM

Re: Recommended Readings in CBT

Where Can I find these books?

Froggatt, Wayne. (2001). Learning to Use Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy: An integrated approach. Hastings: Rational Training Resources
Froggatt, Wayne. (2001). Learning to Use Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy: An outline for new practitioners. Hastings: Rational Training Resources
Froggatt, Wayne. (2002). The Rational Treatment of Anxiety: An outline for cognitive-behavioural intervention with clinical anxiety disorders. Hastings: Rational Training Resources

Thank you very much
Stefano Amico

James Pretzer February 19th, 2005 09:53 PM

Re: Locating Wayne Frogatt's books

Try http://www.rational.org.nz/orgs.htm#...ess%20Training

James Pretzer February 19th, 2005 10:09 PM

Recommended Readings re CBT with Couples and Families

Baucom, D. H., Epstein, N. Sayers, S. & Sher, T. G. (1989). The role of cognition in marital relationships: Deffinitional, metholodogical, and conceptual issues. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psycholgy, 57, 31-38.

Beck, A. T. (1988). Love is never enough. New York, Harper and Row.

Bedrosian, R. C. (1983). Cognitive therapy in the family system. In A. Freeman (Ed.) Cognitive therapy with couples and groups. New York: Plenum.

Epstein, N. B. & Baucom, D. H. (2002). Enhanced cognitive-behavioral therapy for couples. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association Press.

Miller, I. W., Gabor, I. K., Epstein, N. B., Bishop, D. S. & Ryan, C. E. (1993). Inpatient family treatment: General principles. In J. H. Wright, M. E. Thase, A. T. Beck, & J. W. Ludgate (Eds.) Cognitive therapy with inpatients: Developing a cognitive milieu. New York: Guilford.

Spring, J. A. (1996). After the affair: Healing the pain and rebuilding trust when a partner has been unfaithful. New York: Harper Collins.

Wright, J. H. & Beck, A.T. (1993). Family cognitive therapy with inpatients. In J. H. Wright, M. E. Thase, A. T. Beck, & J. W. Ludgate (Eds.) Cognitive therapy with inpatients: Developing a cognitive milieu. New York: Guilford.