Behavior OnLine Forums

Behavior OnLine Forums (https://www.behavioronline.net/)
-   Ericksonian Therapy (https://www.behavioronline.net/ericksonian-therapy/)
-   -   Integrating CBT and Hypnosis (https://www.behavioronline.net/ericksonian-therapy/148-integrating-cbt-hypnosis/)

anavidi September 10th, 2004 04:53 PM

Integrating CBT and Hypnosis

I am a doctoral student working on a critical review of the literature
regarding the integration of hypnosis and cognitive behavioral therapy.
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding what literature
should be included in this review. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Ali

Stephen Lankton September 10th, 2004 06:22 PM

Re: Integrating CBT and Hypnosis

I would start with some current literature and the topic of CBT and Hypnosis:
1. The use of the Crasilneck Bombardment Technique in problems of intractable organic pain., By Crasilneck, Harold B., American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis. 37(4), Apr 1995, 255-266.

2. Cognitive-behavioral hypnotherapy for anxiety disorders. , By Golden, William L., Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy. 8(4), Win 1994, 265-274.

3. Hartland's Medical and Dental Hypnosis, 4th edition. , By Smith, Nigel, Contemporary Hypnosis. 21(1), 2004, 47-49.

4. Treatment of PTSD utilising CBT and Hypnotherapy. , By Lumsden, Alison, Australian Journal of Clinical & Experimental Hypnosis. 27(2), Nov 1999, 150-157.

5. Hypnosis as an adjunct to cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy for obesity: A meta-analytic reappraisal. , By Allison, David B.; Faith, Myles S., Journal of Consulting & Clinical Psychology. 64(3), Jun 1996, 513-516.

6. Hypnosis and CBT with depression and anxiety., By German, Ester
Australian Journal of Clinical & Experimental Hypnosis. 32(1), May 2004, 71-85.

Also, there are a zillion books, depending on your take of CBT most hypnosis books may apply. I think most of mine apply eg, The Answer Within. But it depends on how narrow or broad you definition of CBT happens to be. (For instance, if you have to replicate A. Ellis, to be called CBT, then non-apply.)

anavidi September 11th, 2004 02:57 PM

Re: Integrating CBT and Hypnosis

I appreciate the references that you provided, some I have, but some I haven't seen before. You are also right that there are a lot of books that combine CBT techniques with hypnosis. What I am focused on are those theories that have efficacy research to back them up. I have discovered the hard way that my professors don't take a theory seriously unless it has empirical studies to back it up. There seems to be a plethora of theories on how to integrate hypnosis with CBT but very few that are backed up by research. There appears to be a similar problem concerning Erickson's techniques.

By the way, I have read The Answer Within and it is a wonderful book. Although, I am still struggling to integrate even a tenth of the knowledge into my skill set.
Ali