Behavior OnLine Forums

Behavior OnLine Forums (https://www.behavioronline.net/)
-   Ericksonian Therapy (https://www.behavioronline.net/ericksonian-therapy/)
-   -   Ericksonian techniques with severe psychiatric conditions? (https://www.behavioronline.net/ericksonian-therapy/3819-ericksonian-techniques-severe-psychiatric-conditions/)

emdrhypno January 15th, 2011 07:31 PM

Ericksonian techniques with severe psychiatric conditions?

Hi Steven-
I've completed all three levels of training at the Erickson Foundation and read/viewed/listened to just about everything I could find out there by/about Erickson, and have found myself working with a population with whom I am not sure when or how it's appropriate to apply my tools with.
I work as a therapist in a healing community for folks recovering from lots of severe conditions, from schizophrenia to bipolar/schizoaffective to one resident with DID. I know that dissociative disorders respond well to hypnotic language, and am receiving consultation around that. The consultant has pointed out, and I have found it to be the case, that this woman (with DID) is already exhibiting an incredibly high degree of hypnotic ability, and hence doesn't require a formal induction of any sort. I wonder if you have any specific suggestions around how to work with a client with this diagnosis? I am ordering Kluft's book, as well as a few others, but would love some input from you.
What I am more uncertain about, though, is the advisability of using hypnotic language with people who have thought disorders such as schizophrenia.
I remember you telling the story of, as a beginner in the world of the mental health profession, joining a person in his delusion, pacing the inner world of that individual and then leading him to feelings of greater safety...and I know that Erickson told Steven Gilligan that to understand hypnosis, he should spend time with schizophrenics...and I remember someone in my training saying confusion techniques are contraindicated with schizophrenia...but beyond that, I don't have a lot to go on.
Seems like a lot of what I've been trained in and read about has assumed that the inductee has a high degree of ego strength and grounding in reality.
Can you advise a bit?

F. A. Zadeh January 28th, 2011 02:17 PM

Re: Ericksonian techniques with severe psychiatric conditions?

As for Schizophrenia, those people r not susceptible to Hypnosis. And u r better off treating it as an Immune System Disorder (just like Colitis and Rheumatism), and that makes it a problem of Medicine, not Hypnotherapy (or Ericksonian Therapy)...
Of course, Ericksonian work does not have rules, and in the beginning u won't know what to do exactly with most patients. And u (as a newcomer into this field) have so much enthusiasm and optimism, u would think u can cure the whole world. But it takes u time to discover that it's all in ur head.
There is no difference between NLP people and those who took courses at the Erickson Foundation. They all have the same techniques, and they all reach the same results. The only difference is that people paid more to take course at the Ericson Foundation. (u just fell victim of a crude marketing stunt)...
And, it will take u (maybe a few) months to discover that even people running this forum have abandoned it...
Erickson died, so did his techniques...
I suggest u look for Noesitherapy
That is the new trend now...
Good Luck...

emdrhypno January 31st, 2011 01:13 PM

Re: Ericksonian techniques with severe psychiatric conditions?

Hmm...Stephen, if you get a chance, I'd really love a real response to this question.