Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old February 11th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Forum Leader

Cool Depressed Collectivists

Rush Limbaugh comments often that "liberals are depressed." I tend to believe his conclusion and sometimes attribute it to maternal genomic imprints that favor the growth of anxiety and dread. There's a column in the Kyiv Post consistent with Limbaugh's theory. That is, Russian tourists are complainers and malcontents.

I've noted also that the nastiest, most self-nourishing, sorts of depression are those in narcissists who don't get all they think they deserve. Again, true for the Russian tourists as described and the usual American "liberal." Maybe a slug of Prozac in vodka or Risperdal in shower heads would improve a lot of manners...

Enjoy the essay: "Why do Russian tourists behave so badly abroad?" By Alina

Rudka.

JimB

"The Russian tourist is arrogant. If you are a foreigner and have lived in Russia or Ukraine for awhile, you probably noticed that people never say "sorry" when they step on your foot. They also never apologize when they push you on the street or in public transport. You are lucky if you are not yelled at instead. This attitude doesn't change when these people go abroad either....One more feature of Russians is eternal discontent. You can recognize a Russian tourist everywhere by the bored and unsatisfied expression. I remember going to the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican. I was impressed by its beauty, but my mood was spoiled when I heard: "Oh man, this is just so lame, let's go somewhere else!" with a distinct Moscow accent. Others I met in Rome were talking about the small room they had in a hotel, the lousy Italian food that spoiled their digestion and the awful heat.

"I understand that conditions may not always be the best. But if you cannot change the conditions – change your attitude. That's what my Spanish friends say. Unfortunately, that's not what a Russian tourist does. In Finland, the sauna is too cold; in Rome, the pizza is too hot. Paris is not romantic enough. In Oslo, prices are too high and the ocean is not as blue as on Bali. Another saying that comes to mind is: "If a person is not satisfied with what they have, they won't be satisfied with whatever they desire."

More at http://www.kyivpost.com/opinion/op_ed/35354