Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old July 21st, 2008, 11:29 AM

Default Nocturnal Enuresis

Hello! I currently have a client who, in addition to other things, suffers from nocturnal enuresis (11 yrs old). it's been pretty resistant to intervention in that past. I'm working on several fronts but, at some point, I will be addressing this problem with a program involving a urine alarm, reinforcement for following proper procedures when wetting occurs, overlearning and, if needed, bladder retention exersizes etc. first of all, am I on the right track as far as recommended treatments? also, there are so many Urine alarms out there - ranging from $20 to over $100 - does anyone have any experience with these? can we get away with the cheap ones, or, do you get what you pay for? thanks!
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:51 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Nocturnal Enuresis

First of all, has the kid had a good medical workup? There are an assortment of medical problems that can result in enuresis.

I can't speak to the merits of various urine alarms or usual treatment protocols. However, this sounds like a problem where it would be useful to find out what the parents have been doing and to coach them on what to do and not do. Many parents try using shame, humiliation, embarassment, ridicule, etc. in a misguided attempt to motivate the child to stay dry. This may contribute to his reluctance to accept your help.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Nocturnal Enuresis

Thanks so much for the reply! actually, there is a pretty long history of treatment attempts; the parents mentioned that medication has been tried in the past as well, so there obviously was a doctor involved. I did stess to them that before we move on to address this problem, I'd like them to actually see a Urologist to really rule out that angle. as far as thier methods, they have tried positive reinforcement - but generally it was not properly applied (i.e. no shaping... things like "if you're dry for a whole month you can go for an outing) so definitely I have work to do as far as that is concerned. the reading that I've done indicates that many have success with the alarm method, especially when combined with the other aspects. I'm just so confused about the array of alarms available and which I should or shouldn't use...