Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old February 25th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Forum Leader

Question "Boot Camps," Wilderness Programs, Ropes, etc.

Charles McNeil mentioned a Canadian "boot camp" for adolescent ofenders in one of his posts yesterday. Programs with physical and mental "outside the box" reality challenges for offenders and others have been around for a few decades, at least, and tend to have pretty good results when they are managed well. A few get into the headlines when there is a tragedy, sometimes through their negligence and sometimes not.

They go by various names -- boot camp, wilderness program, ropes program, etc. -- and may last for hours or months. I have a particular interest in the ones that use nature to encourage changes in behavior and attitude, and would welcome posts about any programs (types, procedures, patient/client categories, successes, failures, etc., etc.).

Thanks,
Bill
Old March 5th, 2006, 12:51 AM

Default Re: "Boot Camps," Wilderness Programs, Ropes, etc.

No program that I know of exists like this, but I have long wished we could have in the school system Environmental Education, structured similarly to how we have Drug Education. I think attitude training is essential for everyone, not just those with mental health issues. I would envision a progressive set of requirements ranging from basic knowledge of different trees and habitats, and basics about recycling and environmentally friendly behaviors, to more indepth skills including wilderness survival, lo impact wilderness travel and societal responsibility for taking care of our planet. I think it's in learning how to show respect to other living creatures that we learn to respect ourselves and each other.

Ever wonder where all our garbage goes? Just look carefully the next time Good Morning America or some other newscast features something on the poor in Mexico City or somewhere in India where they make a living picking through piles of garbage. Not all that trash comes from local sources.
Old April 24th, 2010, 02:35 AM

Default Re: "Boot Camps," Wilderness Programs, Ropes, etc.

As the OP states these kind of camps have been around for a long long time.

However you'll find that each camp has its own "feel" on how to do things, often based on the moral orientation of their supporters.

Most now days are either incredibly religiously orientated or very militarily orientated. Either way I would say a more neutral approach would probably provide a better set of results, but funding for such a project is not easy to get.

Everyone has their own agenda.