Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old June 20th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Forum Leader

Default Legal Drug Dealing

In his latest book, "Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America," Robert Whitaker explores the insidious impact of anti-depressants, and other drugs on adults and chid ren. Not only are anti-depressants only marginally more effective than placebos, the side effects can have a harmful, long-term impact. Rather alarming, is his comment that "after several weeks on psychoactive drugs, the brain's compensatory efforts begin to fail and side effects emerge. Essentially, although sometimes providing temporary relief, many drugs progressively disable the natural compensatory functions of the brain, leaving the patient dependent on the drugs or requiring yet other drugs to relieve the side-effects of the original drugs. Sounds like a high-profit racket!
Old June 26th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Legal Drug Dealing

Another dangerous trend in medication! In a Newsweek article (6/27/11), "Mommy, Am I really Bipolar?," Dr. Stuart Kaplan, M.D. warns us of the recent trend of prescribing adult medications for very young childen. These drugs have no known effectiveness for children and plenty of known dangers. Side effects can include fatal damage to many organs.

Many of the observed symptoms that are being treated with drugs might be purposeful behavior that needs to be understood and corrected with psychotherapy.
Old August 29th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Associate Moderator

Lightbulb Re: Legal Drug Dealing

I am very concerned with the addictive properties of many antidepressant drugs that are in common use. By addicting properties I am referring to the rebound agitation that occurs when I attempt to withdraw these medications like anxiety, headaches, restlessness and severe sleep disturbance. These are the same effects we see withdrawing the street drugs and I believe Henry is quite correct in attributing these rebound effects to the brains compensatory mechanisms. This compensation is being used to sustain the style of life by alternate pathways. I feel that most of the "beneficial" effects of these drugs are actually the lack of affect that they induce, but thinking teleologically, the style of life, present since age 3 to 5, will come out the side door and the patient will have no improvement in his feeling of social "belongingness", but rather further escapes the tasks common to humans of belonging and giving. A "chemical robot" is not a cure of the dysfunction, it just makes the person less evidently troubled by their clear and obvious flight from the demands of life.

Last edited by George Neeson; March 10th, 2012 at 11:25 AM..