Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old July 20th, 2005, 11:49 PM

Default making it after graduate school?

Hello,
I was recently accepted into the Art Therapy graduate program at Lesley Univeristy. I am very excited about the opportunity to purse my dream of becoming an art therapist but I have to take out huge loans to afford school. I am in the process of repaying my undergraduate loans too. I have been researching starting pay for art therapist after grad school and found it to be around 30,000. I am not going into art therapy to make tons of money, that is not way I chose the field, but I don't want to be in enoumous debt after school and not be able to work in the field. I am inquiring how other art therapist are paying off their loans or advice on grants or scholarships? I am going back and forth on whether to take some time and save money and then start to create my dream or go right into it. I don't want to pass on wonderful opportunity, any advice is greatly appreciated,
Thank you,catherine
Old September 4th, 2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: making it after graduate school?

Dear Catherine,
I was accpeted into a arts therapy masters in a Canadian University many years ago but did not accept as I was wary of graduating with debt and not alot of income possibilities. i am sure that you know it is important to follow your heart and...
Now I am in a Special Education masters and still teach in an arts centre. I work in schools with special needs children, I just figured that the masters would be more lucrative - not totally sure yet. I am not done!
If you want to be safe (who really does?) you can choose to become a teacher but there are many teachers out there who have comprimised and are not content. Still, if you are looking for money and need that stability.
And its okay to want stability!
Old November 11th, 2005, 04:58 PM

Hi Catherine,
I actually chose a similar route. After my Studio Art Undergrad, I decided to get a teaching license, so I could be paying off my loans while deciding what I really wanted to do w/my life. I'm an elementary art teacher 80%, and getting a Master's in Counseling Psychology full-time at night. Alaska doesn't offer Art Therapy anywhere, so until I want to move I'll just be getting an MSCP, and adding art into my counseling when clients are open to it. But teaching does pay the bills while I pursue my passion in art therapy....

Good luck.
Old January 1st, 2006, 02:30 PM

You need to keep in mind the requirements you need to fill for your teaching degree and any requirements your state may ask for as a CAT. I knew a few students in my graduating class who said they could not satisfy both, and had to choose one or the other.
If your state requires you to teach for a period of time to become certified you may have to postpone getting your ATR, BC and any other licensure your state may require.
Old January 27th, 2006, 12:51 AM

PRIVATE PRACTICE is the key term! And depending on your local. Its always tough strating at the bottom of the ladder. I am in a similar boat as well...in my last year at an Art Therapy Institute in Toronto Canada.
Old October 21st, 2010, 03:53 AM

Hello! I have the same concern. Graduate schools are expensive and I hope I can earn enough to pay back my student loan after graduate. I want to be a therapist and consider to get post graduate training in art therapy. However, ppl keep saying that I should go into a social work program because Art Therapy related jobs are limited and most counseling jobs go to registered social workers.