Behavior OnLine Forums  
The gathering place for Mental Health and
Applied Behavior Science Professionals.

Become a charter member of Behavior OnLine.

Go Back   Behavior OnLine Forums > >

Notices

Old October 20th, 2004, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Discussion of Adler's Journal Articles, Vol. 2, Chapters IX & X (Child Development)

In the beginning of Shakespeare's "Richard III"; the Duke of Gloucester enters the stage and says the famous words: " Now is the winter of our discontent ..." The Duke of Gloucester continues his gloomy soliloquy in extremely dark colors. I remember the film-interpreration by Laurence Olivier where a shadow of Richard is seen on the wall in the beginning of this monologue - the shadow of the misshapen Duke. It tells all - Richard is physically deformed, and he wants to revenge: "Deformed, unfinished, sent before my time." He is so ugly "that dogs bark at me as I halt by them..." Thus, he develops a hatred that is based on his organ inferiority "And therefore, since I cannot prove a lover/To entertain these fair well-spoken days/I am determined to prove a villain..." The Duke changes to a pathological criminal and murderer: "Plots have I laid, inductions dangerous..." Shakespeare's Richard III is masterly analysis of person who becomes a criminal because of his striving to power - in order to compensate his physical weakness. I believe Adler saw very clearly the psychological background of this criminal king: 1) I am weak/I am ugly/people dislike me/no one cares/no woman loves me ever, 2) I want to be powerful/strong/a King, 3) In order reach my goals, I'll murder and I'll lie and I'll deceive and betray, 4) In the end, I'll be the most powerful person in the world. The I can revenge to everyone. This will be my final compensation. Then world will see things they never could imagine. This is Richard's private logic, based on his neurotic final fictions.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 05:37 PM
Forum Leader

Default Discussion of Adler's Journal Articles, Vol. 2, Chapters XI & XII (Aggression)

Our next discussion of Chapters XI & XII, starts October 24th. To prepare, order your copy of Volume 2 of "The Collected Clinical Works of Alfred Adler" at http://go.ourworld.nu/hstein/cw-v2.htm. The following chapter abstracts were created by James Wolf.

Chapter XI: "The Aggression Drive in Life and in the Neurosis, written in 1908 is a major step for Adler in the development of his psychology. Still in the camp of drive theory, he presents a theory of drives and their interactions. He emphasizes the aggression drive over the sexual and other drives as the primary determiner, organizer and director, of the other drives in forming the person's attitude to the world. He discusses the "innate feeling of community", "social feeling", as restraint to the drives, their most important "regulatory mechanism".

Chapter XII: In "Inheritance of Diseases," written in 1908, Adler discusses the inheritance of disease, what was believed in his day, and what questions remained. He addresses health, environmental, social and psychological forces that may influence genetic transmission and development.

When posting your comments or questions, please identify the chapter number and/or title at the beginning of your message. On November 1st, this thread will be merged with the Volume 2 cumulative thread.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 09:23 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Cumulative Discussion of Adler's Journal Articles, Vol. 2, Chapters I-X

In contrast to the fictional, negative, private logic of Richard III, it is interesting to compare other conclusions about physical limitations. I watched a PBS program last night about the history of the American, Broadway musical. In an interview with Bob Fosse about his innovative dance choreography, he explained that his unique style grew out of self-perceived limitations: he began using a hat in routines, because he was getting bald; many of his shoulder hunching movements, grew out of feeling of being too "round-shouldered;" and his "toe-in" leg movements sprouted from a difficulty in "turning out." This was a fascinating example of a useful, positive, creative compensation for felt limitations.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Cumulative Discussion of Adler's Journal Articles, Vol. 2, Chapters I-X

Yes, Henry, I think it is important to remind all of us that the inferiority-feelings may, in fact, result in finest possible compensations - in arts, in literature, in music, in humanitarian work, and so on. As a young student I listened to the lectures in psychiatry by professor Martti Kaila who was a brother of Eino Kaila, the Finnish philosopher-psychologist. He was talking often about inferiority and compensation. He himself had some problem in his left foot, and he was limping. He mentioned as example a committee that was in charge of organizing medical social and social services for disabled persons. After the exhausting wars, we had many wounded people here in Finland. He pointed out that almost everyone who was involved in the humanitarian work of this committee was somehow physically handicapped. These people with some influence in society wanted to help their fellow-citizens. Think about Beethoven who was deaf, or about the many fine artists who have some visual defect. What we'll become, depends on our leading idea - is it power, or is it service for humanity?

Last edited by Manu Jaaskelainen; October 23rd, 2004 at 03:42 PM..
Old October 23rd, 2004, 01:40 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Discussion of Adler's Journal Articles, Vol. 2, Chapters XI & XII (Aggression)

Whereas Adler's views on the equality of women were ahead of his time, his criticism of homosexuality in Chapter XI (and elsewhere) reflects the common bias of his time and place. These opinions, coming out of the early 1900's in Vienna, do not represent contemporary Classical Adlerian psychotherapy. While we respect every individual's sexual choice, we apply the same psychological criteria to all relationships, promoting increased cooperation, respect, equality, mutual benefit and empathy, and working to eliminate domination, subordination, depreciation, exploitation, or abuse. Adler's comments have been retained in the text in the interest of scholarship and historical accuracy.

Last edited by Henry Stein; October 23rd, 2004 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: Modified text.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 02:45 PM
Forum Leader

Manu, I'm not sure if you have this resource, but I just ordered a copy of this new, expanded edition. In "Cradles of Eminence," (Second Edition: Childhoods of More Than Seven Hundred Famous Men and Women) by Victor Goertzel, Mildred Goertzel, Ted Goertzel and Ariel M.W. Hansen, the authors explore the many-faceted roots (both positive and negative) that can stimulate outstanding achievement. A few of their findings about early difficulties are excerpted below.

"...Handicaps such as blindness; deafness; being crippled, sickly, homely, undersized, or overweight; or having a speech defect occur in the childhoods of over one-fourth of the sample. In many of these individuals, the need to compensate for such handicaps is seen by them as a determining factor in their drive for achievement."

"...Among explorers and adventurers, there is almost always a history of accident-proneness."

"...Seventy-four of eighty-five writers of fiction or drama and sixteen of twenty poets come from homes where, as children, they saw tense psychological dramas played out by their parents."
Old October 23rd, 2004, 03:54 PM

The book by Goertzel et al. is unknown to me, but it seems to be of great interest for everyone who is exploring the horizons of human achievement. Today, some people who are experts in literature and arts say that one should the text itself, or the art-work itself, and forget totally all psychological (and biographical, e.g. medical) connections alltogether. For me, this is a weird idea. One can study the art-work in itself, but knowing the biographical factors is of great help in understanding what the author/artist is trying to tell us. Take e.g. Proust. For a long time, I had difficulties in understanding his texts. After studying his biography, I felt a great sympathy for the person and started really to read him with my eyes sharpened. - Thank you for your hint. I'll try to locate the book somewhere here.

Last edited by Manu Jaaskelainen; October 29th, 2004 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Minor linguistic corrections
Old October 26th, 2004, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Discussion of Adler's Journal Articles, Vol. 2, Chapters XI & XII (Aggression)

Reading Adler's article on the aggression drive (chapter XI), I was impressed by the numerous insights and by its importance.

Although Adler would, of course, later expand his views and find many manifestations of upward striving in the direction of social interest, I believe the aggression "drive" is something which is often seen clinically and should not be neglected by contemporary Adlerians (although to be understood as one possible expression of upward striving, rather than as a "drive"). Certainly the great authors have all been keenly aware of competitiveness, vindictiveness, large and small cruelties, and even murderousness. Adler was willing to acknowledge these long before Freud was.

It seems to me an error to merely view the "aggression drive" as an early manifestation of upward striving, a conceptualization to be discarded as the theory progressed. Rather, I believe that this aggressive striving is an unfortunate element in our human society and that Adler proposed social interest as a compensatory measure to help overcome it. Although this idea is already present in this paper, Adler did more forcefully affirm this direction for Individual Psychology following the horrors of World War I. Acknowledging the harsher aspects of existence, as Adler does in this chapter, saves the clinician from losing empathy with the slights and injuries which his or her client has undoubtedly suffered in the world and to which he or she now responds to in kind, seeing no other solution. Adler offers a better solution.

Trevor Hjertaas, Psy. D.
Old October 26th, 2004, 04:43 PM

In Chapter XI, "The Aggression Drive..." Adler discusses agression, its manifestations and its possible connections. His way of approaching this problem is heavily indebted to Freud. He is using the concept of "drive". An important concept in this connection is "confluence". A useful discussion on this idea may be found in Ansbacher & Ansbacher, The Individual Psychology of Alfred Adler (see page 30 ff.). In Adler's presentation, pp. 62 - 63, paragraph 1, Adler presents a theory of drive that reminds one of Jung. Adler accepts the idea that a drive is something that is common to a history mankind. He even mentions the idea of race. All this indicates that the discussion is rather heavily dominated by contemporary ideas that penetrated psychology, psychiatry, and biology at the turn of the century. Later on, Adler would take a somewhat more reserved view on the idea of drive. In the beginning of the Ansbacher & Ansbacher edition of Adler's writings, you may find a message written by Adler to Heinz L. Ansbacher: "Do not forget the most important fact that not heredity and not environment are determining factors. - Both are giving only the frame and the influences which are answered by the individual in regard to his styled creative power." I think that it is most important to keep in mind this citation when reading Adler's early works. You can easily see how much Adler's views changed during his intellectual development. Write up these words on a piece of paper and keep it as a reminder of Adler's deepest and possibly best formulated message! - Returning to the 1908 paper, Adler presents there a useful discussion of the concept of drive. I think that his analysis is still valid, and reminds one very strongly of a discussion in any basic psychology text today (I mean especially paragraphs 1 - 3). What is typially Adlerian, is his introduction of the concept of compensation. Adler is gradually turning to a more psychological direction. The paper contains some wonderful psychological insights, e.g. the Lichtenberg-quotation on page 66. The social feeling is introduced as a regulator of the aggression drive. Like aggression, it is also an inherited drive. Later on, Adler would emphasize the primary position of the social feeling. If the the individual is isolated, if she feels hurt and humiliated, aggression may be the result. - In the next Chapter XII, Adler presents a discussion on the inheritance of diseases. One should take into account that this discussion is also heavily indebted to contemporary sources - Mendel, Weissman, Darwin. DNA and the deepest mechanisms of heredity were at that time unknown. Adler finds a correlation with social circumstances even here. The development of the individual is connected with economic conditions (p. 71) "An enormous number of defects that continue in the organs arise from the way we live." (p. 74). Adler presents in his paper two central points: 1) that social and economic factor have a decisive influence on the health of the individual, 2) that evolution and what Adler calls "progress" may change the biological and psychological phenotype of humankind into a better and stronger direction. It would be absolutely wrong to say that Adler is advocating some kind of survival-of-the fittest ideology here. In contrast, he emphasizes the need to take care of those who are in weakest position. See e.g. his discussion on child labor (pp.73-74). "Medical science, a social consciousness, but also our culture demanding that every individual be capable of working, have deepened the interest in the infirm." (p. 73).

Last edited by Manu Jaaskelainen; October 28th, 2004 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: Minor linguistic corrections
Old October 28th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Forum Leader

The prior comments about Adler's early thoughts on an aggression drive, and his later revision, echoed a recent experience reading two authors about the philosophy of martial arts. Joe Hyamns in "Zen in the Martial Arts" relates a series of anecdotes and observations about his training and relationships with several masters, including Bruce Lee. He appears to have struggled for many years with the control and channeling of his own aggression and competitiveness, often looking for encounters to prove or refine his fighting power, then seeking some periodic relief of tension and peace of mind. By contrast, Wong Kiew Kit, in "The Complete Book of Tai Chi Chuan," offers a perspective on using the martial arts as a path to health. Although the slow practice of Tai Chi is beneficial for physical well-being, when speeded up, the same movements can be effective for defense and attack. However, the big difference between Hyams and Kit is their appetite for aggression. Apparently, both are capable of hurting an opponent. Hyams seems to relish the win-lose combat opportunity; Kit has a graduated perspective on fighting: 1) avoid it entirely, whenever possible; 2) if attacked, first attempt to withdraw and suggest an alternative solution; 3) if the attack persists, disable the opponent just enough to stop him and cause him to reconsider; 4) if the attack appears to be life-threatening, completely disable or even kill the opponent rapidly, if necessary. We could say that both of these martial artists have "an aggression capability and potential." The difference is how each "uses" this human possibility.

Sophia de Vries told me that Adler was gentle as a lamb with his patients, but could be a ferocious lion with professionals who he felt were damaging patients or exploiting and distorting Individual Psychology.