PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant archive_postsperpage - assumed 'archive_postsperpage' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../archive/index.php on line 406
Steyn: Economic Health [Archive] - Behavior OnLine Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Steyn: Economic Health

James Brody
December 28th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Congress and Executives scurry to get us back to where we were a few months ago, even to the extent of putting us into more debt as so many of us stop spending. For example, the dollar increased in value (called affectionately, "deflation") for the last two months and the average Joe Plumber saved money.

Scientific question: is the present situation a state of health and the go-go, borrow-it-now for the past several years pathological? I sorta like my country better as it now and, because of our economy, see BHO as a passing annoyance...

On the other hand, I was right on our hot world but might be wrong on how we manage to use it.

Enjoy Steyn...

JimB

"'Retail Sales Plummet," read the Christmas headline in The Wall Street Journal. "Sales plunged across most categories on shrinking consumer spending.'

"Hey, that's great news, isn't it? After all, everyone knows Americans consume too much. What was it that then Sen. Obama said on the subject? "We can't just keep driving our SUVs, eating whatever we want, keeping our homes at 72 degrees at all times regardless of whether we live in the tundra or the desert and keep consuming 25 percent of the world's resources with just 4 percent of the world's population, and expect the rest of the world to say, 'You just go ahead, we'll be fine.'

And boy, we took the great man's words to heart."

Lots more at http://www.ocregister.com/articles/christmas-apart-world-2267866-lives-grown