PDA

View Full Version : Bipolar: It Continues

James Brody
November 11th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I've had some luck thinking of thoughts as Darwinian things that compete for their own existence, regardless of costs to their carrier. It can be a challenge to consider your thoughts as competing with your self interest, it can also - I think! - be helpful.

Meanwhile, the continuity from childhood into adulthood of bipolar disorder presents a challenge of separating how much is genetically driven and how much is a response to the environments arranged by newborn "propensities" ...

From Journal Watch: Psychiatry

"Does Childhood Bipolar I Disorder Persist?

"It did for a large proportion of participants in this longitudinal study, and morbidity was high.

"In this study, bipolar I disorder persisted into adulthood among 44% of participants, but this percentage probably understates the phenomenon..."

Free access to review at http://psychiatry.jwatch.org/cgi/content/full/2008/1027/1.

Citation:
Geller B et al. Childhood bipolar I disorder: Prospective continuity with adult bipolar I disorder; characteristics of second and third episodes; predictors of 8-year outcome. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2008 Oct; 65:1125.