PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant archive_postsperpage - assumed 'archive_postsperpage' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../archive/index.php on line 406
The Election 11/3/08 [Archive] - Behavior OnLine Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Election 11/3/08

James Brody
November 3rd, 2008, 08:23 PM
Nobelist Roger Sperry once remarked that society wages war against the right cerebral cortex. Along these lines, Nick Goldberg pointed out that the right frontal area is the arena for our creativity and the left that for routines. Thus, new stuff is taken in by the right, an order arranged, and then given to the left. The left simply applies old organizations to whatever it encounters. As we age, the right loses function, the left gains. We think we are getting wiser when we are actually become more routinized.
-----------

I deliver campaign materials to rural homes. Eight rusted mail boxes, each gets a McCain mailer, each mail box attaches to an aged soul...some of them worried that McCain will tax their social security but most - holding on to ideas with with they grew up - will vote for him anyhow.

The bumpersticker: "Annoy a liberal --- work hard & be happy." I can tell by the tone of a voice on the phone whether I have just met a McCain fan. There is an openness to talk that contrasts with a rushed "'Bye" and - maybe Limbaugh was right several years ago when he observed that liberals tend to be irritable and depressed. Are the angry ones a result of their environments or do they reflect a biogenetic set point - that is, they tend to be miserable regardless of environments - as suggested by David Rowe? Or do the miserable collect environments that are consistent with their misery?

The school principal: "The kids are surrounded by Obama signs; can you get me a McCain sign from somewhere? I pulled my last one out of my car and asked that he use it well... There are thinkers who tend to be a bit chaotic and there are marchers in a column of ants ... I think of research that shows the strides of lizards and those of marching Nazis share rhythms...

The worn, torn flag near Kimberton stands out in the breeze, the last red and white stripes have separated from the rest of the flag. It flies on a pole in front of a $500,000 house. That flag captures the separation within this country as traditional Americans - white or black - age, fail to make children, and face invasions from our south by people who are unprincipled, young, diseased, short, and not very bright but quite fertile. And from a different direction and across an ocean come waves that are young, sometimes not very bright but principled and united and also quite fertile. Blacks now complain about being displaced by Mexicans: wait until both of them meet more Arabs.

Evolution ... It can't go backwards without a meteor, heat wave, or volcano and even then it can't go backwards in small steps...Can we get back what we had in four years from now? Some think "yes" but the answer is "no." Will our children remember what they used to have? Will they ever be taught about what they used to have?

Voters prefer Biden's brain damage and BHO's criminal history to Sarah's experience running Alaska and Mac's time in Hanoi. How in hell did this contest develop? Emergent networks such as political movements do have the properties of self interest. And whether religion, government, or even football teams ... all have a redistribution problem that is often settled by collapse.

I find an agitated lady, working alone on the phones: she had her abortion at 17 and now, thirty years later, rides the phone as if it were Paul Revere's horse. She also corrected my data: she and her sisters have killed 48 million not 40 - a horde of ghosts probably watch us as if they were a Greek chorus.

The computer guy two phones away: "Oh, oh, there's 'Marx" on my list." He called them, then laughed: "They hadn't thought of the connection... They intend to vote for McCain..."

An injured Marine and I finally got our schedules in sync and, in the darkness, replaced the 4x8 foot sign that was stolen a week ago. We agreed: "The wind could be a bit warmer but it also could be a lot colder." We also agreed: "Signs help you take possession of territories..."

Late in the evening, I called a client to reschedule our midday appointment. Her husband answered: "Thank God, it's you. I thought you were another of those Republican committee calls..." I had to tell him: "Of course! That's what I've been doing for the past ten days. Can I talk to your wife..."

And the twenty-year old design student in Barnes & Noble. I saw him at a McCain rally but learn now that 1) he recognizes BHO's deceptive nature as consistent with that of a used car salesman and 2) is impressed with how he collects power. Is life really a videogame?

As for BHO's power, it won't last long. I fear the thought of his replacements...

JimB